Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Meditation & Relaxation

Define "Meditation" and "Relaxation" in your own words. What do you hope to get out of this class?

Meditation can mean many different things to different people. But I believe it is about getting into a more peaceful state of mind. It's where you go (in your mind) to find your "happy place" and not think about things you might have to do later; just be in the present, the here and now. It really helps me to listen to soothing music, like the kind we listen to in class, and I just try to concentrate on the sounds and rhythms of it. Meditation time is also a good time to pray since it is truly one of the only "quiet times" I can ever get.

Relaxation is more about resting your body than your mind, or sometimes it can be both. It is releasing tension in your body, which is important in trying to meditate. Relaxation can kind of go hand-in-hand with meditation in that you sometimes need to let go of all your thoughts in order to fully relax. It's impossible to relax if you're constantly worried about things.

I am really hoping this class will help with my stress levels. For some reason, I freak out really easily, and I even have to take anti-anxiety medication to help with this, yet it still seems to happen. I don't handle stress well at all so I hope this class can help to teach me things to do to ease my worries. I want to have a more positive outlook on life and a calm, peaceful state of mind. :)

No comments: